Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 
Logistics are never any fun. Too often I see a talented project leader getting bogged down in logistical nightmares. This seems to occur more often when the leader is especially talented, and again if he/she has handled logistics in the past, when the project was at a lesser scale.

Today's example involves an upcoming event that we're planning. Marc's leading the thing because it's his baby and events have always been his baby which was fine when we had 80 people coming to see the show, but these days we put 200 people in a room, and Marc needs to concentrate on the top-end sales tasks that bring in the cash. I'm running the technological aspects, coding the various response and reporting mechanisms, while my Web Devver Lara handles the marketing side. With three weeks left and Marc going crazy trying to tie everything together, I made the call - Chris, our real-world marketer, is going to have to take a big bite of elephant stew and own the logistical aspects.

This is going to be a huge challenge for Chris but also for me. It's a huge event for us - how much leeway do I give him to fail? If I see him struggling do I swoop in at the last minute and save the day, or let it be a lesson for him? I'm totally confident in the kid but he's very raw. It's going to be an interesting three weeks.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?